Mostly we use the World Wide Web to receive and share information through the Internet, which is known as Web in short. Whatever information is available on the web, we can easily get it with the help of a browser, thus the information we can get on the web is only 4 percent of the entire Internet, known as Surface Web. goes. The remaining 96 percent, which is not easily accessible to everyone, is known as Deep Web or Dark Web.
What is dark web?
The Dark Web is a part of the Deep Web that is commonly used for illegal purposes. It deals in drugs trade, illegal weapons, online data theft, human trafficking, child pornography, theft of confidential information related to credit and debit cards, live murder, illegal biological experiment and other cybercrime etc.
Much of the deep web is used for legal purposes. It is called Deep Web because the user’s identity and online activity cannot be tracked. Who are you? What are you doing, the other person cannot figure it out.
The Dark Net uses technologies or software such as The Onion Router and Invisible Internet Project or I2P to keep the processes on the Internet confidential.
Dangers of the dark net
- Illegal activities are generally handled in the dark net. The dark net itself is very secure and the data here is not accessible to everyone. Therefore it provides a safe platform for illegal actions. Dark net is a type of black market.
- Illegal black marketing through the dark net is still very difficult to catch by cyber security agencies. Therefore it is used for drug dealers, arms smugglers, child pornography collectors and other criminals involved in financial and physical crimes.
- It can be used by terrorists and radicals to create imbalances within the country, they can do illegal work through it and the government can neither monitor their activities nor fear of getting caught. it happens. They can easily raise money force and manpower through it using virtual currencies like Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies as well as purchase arms illegally.
- Individuals involved in cyber hacking and fraud also use the Dark Web platform. These hackers can create problems by unauthorized hacking of the data of basic institutions for the security of a country.
Initiatives to strengthen Cyber Security in India: Cyber Security Policy 2013
Keeping in mind the cyber threats, the Government of India had released the National Cyber Security Policy in 2013, which called for adopting the following key strategies to protect the country’s cyber security infrastructure –
- Building a secure cyber ecosystem: Creating a secure environment for electronic transactions in the country, building IT system trust and trust and guiding the actions of stakeholders to protect cyberspace.
- Strengthening the regulatory framework: strengthening the regulatory framework to ensure a secure cyberspace ecosystem.
- Compliance with global security standards: This policy will create assessment and certification to ensure compliance with cybersecurity best practices, standards and guidelines to create an assurance framework.
- Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-in): This policy will create mechanisms to receive early warnings in case of security threats, vulnerability management and response. For this, a national level computer emergency response team (CERT-in) 24X7 will function as an umbrella organization, handling all communication and coordination in dealing with cyber crisis situations.
- Cybercrime: Enabling effective prevention, investigation and prosecution of cybercrime and enhancing law enforcement capabilities through appropriate legislative intervention.
- Confidentiality: Enabling the protection of information during the use, storage, and transit of data related to citizens to protect the privacy of citizens’ data and minimize the economic loss due to cyber crime or data theft.
- Testing and Validation: To establish the infrastructure for testing and validating the security of such products to improve ICT products authenticity.
- Human Capacity Development: To create a workforce of 500,000 professionals skilled in cyber security over the next 5 years through capacity building, skill development and training.
- Indigenization of technologies: To develop appropriate indigenous security technologies through frontier technology research, solution-oriented research, certification of concepts, etc.