The Statue of Unity is built in the memory of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the first Home Minister of India and the first Deputy Prime Minister, who is based in the Indian state of Gujarat. This monument is at a place called Sadhu Bet, about 3.2 km from Sardar Sarovar Dam. This place is an island in the Narmada River. It was inaugurated on 31 October 2018 on the 138th birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, by the Chief Minister of Gujarat, and the current Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi.
Quick information about Statue of Unity:
|Name||Statue of unity|
|place||Sadhu Bet, Garudeshwar Dam, Narmada District, Gujarat (India)|
|Time||Open from 08 am to 6 pm and closed on Mondays.|
|entrance fees||120 for adult Indians, Rs 60 for children aged 3 to 15 and Rs 350 for adult foreigners, and Rs 200 for foreign children aged 3 to 15 years.|
|Nearest Railway Station||Vadodara|
|the creator||Indian government|
|Manufacturing period||October 31, 2013 – October 30, 2018|
|Total cost of construction||Approx 2989 crores|
|Opening date||31 October 2018|
|Architect or sculptor||Ram Sutar|
|The height||Statue: 182 meters, including base: 240 meters|
History of Statue of Unity:
On 7 October 2013, as the Chief Minister of Gujarat, Narendra Modi first constructed a huge statue of India’s first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on the occasion of completing ten years of his government in Gujarat . At that time the project was called “Gujarat’s Tribute to the Nation”. To work on this project, an organization named Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Rashtriya Ekta Trust (SVPRET) was created which was headed by then Chief Minister of Gujarat Narendra Modi. After this, the work of construction of this idol started from 31 October 2013, which was completed after 5 years by 30 October 2018. After which it was inaugurated by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi on 31 October 2018.
Architecture and Designer of the Statue of Unity:
The sculptor of this memorial was Ram V. Sutar, a well-known Indian . The architecture of this statue is related to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, India’s most famous freedom fighter. Vallabhbhai Patel is also called the Iron Man of India because he merged 565 princely states and princely states into India soon after independence. The idol is 58 meters and its height is 182 meters, its height is 240 meters including the base, which gives it the credit of the world’s tallest statue.
Important facts related to the Statue of Unity:
- This statue is the tallest statue in the world, whose height is 204 meters with base and 182 meters without base. After this, the second tallest statue in the world is the Spring Temple Buddha in China, with a total height of 208 meters including the base.
- The Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Integration Trust opened 36 offices across India for the construction of the idol, aiming to raise iron from around 5 lakh farmers.
- The campaign was earlier named “Gujarat’s Tribute to the Nation”, which was later changed to: Statue of Unity Campaign.
- In this 3 month long campaign, about 6 lakh villagers donated iron for the installation of the idol.
- Turner Construction “Project Manager of Burj Khalifa” has been taken to construct this statue.
- The construction work of this statue was started on 31 October 2013, which was completed after 5 years by 30 October 2018.
- Initially the total cost of the project was estimated by the Government of India to be 3,001 crores. But later the total cost of the project was estimated at 2989 crores.
- This monument is built on the river island called Sadhu Bet, 3.2 km from it, towards Narmada Dam.
- The total weight of the idol is 1700 tons, a mixture made of 85% copper, 5% tin, 5% lead and 5% zinc has been used in its construction.
- Two passenger elevators have been installed to view the Statue of Unity from inside, these elevators will take the passengers to the statue’s chest. A gallery has been constructed for the travelers to see there. This gallery can accommodate up to 200 visitors at a time.
- The government of Gujarat has constructed a 3.5 km long highway for the convenience of tourists, through this highway, tourists can easily come from Kevadia town to the Statue of Unity. And the government has also built a modern public plaza, from which the Narmada River and the statue can be seen.
- The campaign of idol-making led to a “Suraj” application in which the public could write their opinion on better governance. Suraj application was signed by 2 crore people, which became the largest prayer letter in the world. In addition, the “Run for Unity” marathon was organized on 15 December 2013.
- The world’s tallest statue, the Statue of Unity, and the 11-story Club and Hotel Soho House in Mumbai have been ranked in Time magazine’s list of the world’s 100 Greatest Places.