To generate job opportunities for students and youth in the country, some scheme has been brought by the government. Which helps the citizens of the country to get employment. Recently, SHREYAS scheme is being launched by the Central Government for the youth who have got higher education to generate better placements and employment, under which new graduate students will be provided education opportunities in special industry. You can read the complete information about this scheme here.
Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar has launched ‘Shreyas’ (Scheme for Higher Education Youth for Apprenticeship and Skill) portal on 27 February 2019 to enable them through skill development in youth. With the help of this portal, students who get a bachelor’s degree will be made skilled in the industry by training them so that they can become eligible for employment.
Objectives of SHREYAS scheme
The SHREYAS scheme has the following objectives:
- To improve the employability of students by introducing employment relevance in the learning process of higher education system.
- Build close functional links between the education and industry / service sectors on a permanent basis.
- Imparting skills to the students as per the demand of the present time
- To establish the system of earning along with studies in higher education programs.
- To prepare skilled workers to provide better working power to the industry.
- Connecting student community with employment by facilitating government efforts.
Features of SHREYAS scheme
- In this, students of all universities, colleges, ITIs and polytechnics will have to register.
- Depending on their profile, further training of six, nine or one year will be given.
- This portal will work under the joint aegis of Ministry of Human Resource Development, Ministry of Skill Development and Ministry of Labor and Employment.
- In the year 2019, about three lakh students will be trained through it.
- UGC, AICTE states and educational institutions will be asked to write a letter and join it. The industry will be paid money from the central government.
- Through the program, the industry will provide complete training in health, education, industry etc. to the students, so that they can get employment after completion of degree studies.
- The objective of this program is to prepare students to be connected with employment with general studies.
Eligibility and Necessary Documents for SHREYAS Scheme
- Resident of the country: – Students are required to be legally citizens of India. To prove this, they should have their respective voter and Aadhaar card.
- Should be a student: – The applicant for this scheme can be a student, even if he is studying in any government or private college in the country. One can get benefits under this program.
- Only for students of non-technical field: – This scheme has been implemented for the development of students who are studying in non-technical field. For example, only students graduating in BA, BSc and BCom can register for this scheme.
- Year of Pass Out: – Only those students who will pass out of the college from April – May 2019 can enroll for this scheme. Therefore, at the time of registration, the applicants have to attach a copy of their college pass certificate along with the form.
- Adequate academic degree: – The benefit of this scheme can be availed only to those students who have the necessary academic and other skills, which match the trainee profile. And the decision of the person giving training in this regard will be considered as final.
Operation of plan
The primary scheme will be operated with the National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS), which provides for keeping trainees up to 10% of the total workforce in each business / industry. The scheme will initially be implemented by Banking Skills Insurance Services (BFSI), Retail, Health Care, Telecom, Logistics, Media, Management Services, ITES and Sector Skills Councils (SSC). With increasing demand for apprenticeships and changes in courses, more areas will be added to this scheme from time to time.